Thursday, January 1, 2009

Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II

Malaysia was under the colonial of British prior to its independence on 31 August 1957. One of the Malaysian banknotes issued prior to 1957 was of the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II and it was depicted on the Malaya and British Borneo currency issued in 1953 by the Board of Commissioners of Currency Malaya and British Borneo. These notes was circulated and used in Malaya, Singapore, Brunei, Sarawak and North Borneo.

$1 currency issued by Board of Commissioners of Currency Malaya and British Borneo on 21 March 1953.

Besides Malaya and North Borneo, there are total of 33 countries have had featured the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II in their currency prior to their independence. Among these countries are Australia, Bahamas, Belize, Bermuda, British Caribbean Territories, British Honduras, Canada, Cayman Islands, Ceylon, Cyprus, East African Currency Board, East Caribbean States, Falkland Islands, Fiji, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Malta, New Zealand, Rhodesia, Scotland, Solomon Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Mauritius, Rhodesia and Nyasaland, Saint Helena, Seychelles and Southern Rhodesia.


$1 Currency issued by Government of Hong Kong on 1 July 1955

1 Pound currency issued by Government of Fiji on 1 December 1961


Queen Elizabeth II was born on 21 April 1926 in London, England. She is the Queen of Britain and Northern Island and Head of 15 States of 15 other Commonwealth countries. She is also the Head of the Commonwealth and Supreme Governor of the Church of England. She was proclaimed as Queen of Great Britain on 6 February 1952 after the death of her father, King George VI.

To many collectors, the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II sounds extremely familiar to them. For those whom have yet to have any Queen Elizabeth II portrait banknotes, I think you are still long way to be classified as a banknote collector. You should have at least one piece of Queen Elizabeth II portrait banknote in your collection throughout your collection life if you want to be a genuine collector.

4 comments:

kai said...

Hi Jack, Nice article you wrote there. The M&BB were also used in the Riau Archipelago too (Indonesia). You can find a section of the M&BB notes listed on the Indonesian Banknotes catalogue titled Katalog Uang kertas Indonesia. I have the one for 1782-2005. Have fun!

kai said...

Jack, It me again. Your greatest nightmare LOL!

This is my 2 cents for the last paragraph of this article and you said, and I quote “You should have at least one piece of Queen Elizabeth II portrait banknote in your collection throughout your collection life if you want to be a genuine collector.” and unquote.

I have to disagree with you on this point. Whilst I acknowledge that most collectors would have at least a QEll note in their collection, even the cheapest one like those HK one cent notes issued till the late 80s, but for those who doesn’t, that does not mean that they are not a genuine collector too. Your definition of a banknotes collector or even a genuine collector is very debatable and I can assure you that many collectors would disagree with you on this point. Just for argument sake, let say I am a French man. I lived in French all my life. Both my parents and their parents are all French 100%. I am a banknotes collector but I am only interested in French notes issued since say 1701. Let say I have 80% of all French notes issued since then in various condition in my collection. And I believe France has never issued any banknotes with the portrait of QEll. Forget about a genuine collector, am I or am I not a banknotes collector?

Based on your definition as “genuine collector”, to be qualified as one as a Polymer banknotes collector, one must have at least a Haiti tyvek note in their collection, right?

As I said earlier, this is just my 2 cents. Nice article you got there!

Jack Hoo said...

Hi Kai, glad to hear your comments. Of course the definition of banknote collector is vary from one to another. For me, as a typical Malaysian banknote collector, sure a QEII note means something to us.

kai said...

Yes, I understand. You have a great site here. I too have few sites of my own but not as good as yours. Keep up the good work.